Back to Top

Problem when downloading a new episode "Download failure java.io.IOException"

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
xaviercm
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 1 month ago
Joined: 01/18/2013 - 05:52
Problem when downloading a new episode "Download failure java.io.IOException"

Hi,
I'm using DogCatcher for several years without any problem. But today, after adding a new podcast (and downloading the first episode without any trouble) i get this error message when trying to get the second one :
"Download failure java.io.IOException: HTTP error received from server, response code: 403"
When i try to access to the feed with my browser (Firefox) all seem to work fine :
Feed URL is : "http://feeds.feedburner.com/la_chronique_techno"
I tried to delete the feed in Dogcatcher and recreate it but i got the same problem ("diagnostic" function say that everything is OK ...).
I'm already listen another podcast hosting on the same server and i don't get the same problem.
Thanks in advance for your help.
/Xavier

jlucktay
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 1 month ago
Joined: 04/06/2016 - 09:53
Similar issue

I'm having a similar problem with feeds from Giant Bomb, and a 403 Forbidden error message:

DETAILS:
DoggCatcher Version: 1.2.5254
Device: Google Nexus 5X
Android Build: MHC19J
Carrier: EE, UK
SUMMARY: Feeds from www.giantbomb.com don't like the default User-Agent header, but the option to change it in Settings is not effective.
STEPS TO REPRODUCE:
1. Subscribe to any of the free feeds from Giant Bomb here: http://www.giantbomb.com/feeds/
2. Do a refresh on one/all of the feeds.
3. Once the refresh has finished, examine the last error message on any Giant Bomb feed.
WHAT HAPPENS: Feed can not update, since it has hit a 403 Forbidden error.
WHAT SHOULD HAPPEN: Feed should update and show new podcasts.
FREQUENCY: 100%
SEVERITY: Moderate

I've captured a few different update requests via a proxy on my desktop machine, and the only request which was successful had a different User-Agent value to DoggCatcher's default, and returned a HTTP response code of 200 and a proper response body full of XML goodness detailing podcast items.
The other requests get a HTTP response code of 403 Forbidden and a response body telling me to bugger off, basically.
It seems that they do not like the "Apache-HttpClient/4.5.2 (Java/0)" value for the User-Agent header, but I can't affect this field with the option in the Settings screen of DoggCatcher.
When I set a custom User-Agent value in the Settings screen, it puts whatever I specify there against a "http.useragent" header, and not the proper "User-Agent" header.

xaviercm
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 1 month ago
Joined: 01/18/2013 - 05:52
Not exactly the same issue

Hi,

It's not exactly the same issue as mine. For me the feed is updated correctly. But when i try to download the episode i got a "red circle" and the "Download failure java.io.IOException" error message ...

Some additional informations :

Doggcatcher version : 1.2.5254 (Release Channel : Paid)
Phone : Motorola Moto G 1st Gen
Android : 5.1
Kernel : 3.4.42

/Xavier

WayneC
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 7 hours ago
Joined: 02/23/2011 - 22:28
If you're experiencing

If you're experiencing an issue with either feed...try using the "Legacy HTTP Library" (DC Menu>Settings>Advanced) on version 1.2.5254 of the beta

See Eric's post in DC's beta group forum "Next beta - http library" https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/doggcatcher-beta/Wy6xQuefeec

eric
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 11/06/2008 - 22:02
That makes it pretty clear

That makes it pretty clear that I've got a bug in the use of the new library. I'll try to get a fix out tonight.

Thanks for all details, should make it easy to jump right in and fix it.

eric
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 11/06/2008 - 22:02
I'm releasing a fix for this

I'm releasing a fix for this now, you should get it shortly in 1.2.5255. So it would be great if after getting the update, you could flip back to the new library (by disabling the legacy library) and try to subscribe to the feed and download an episode.

I was able to reproduce the problem and it works for me now, but I would still feel better with one more person confirming the fix.

Also regarding being able to set the user agent in DC, based on what you discovered, I noticed that this has been broken for probably a couple years now...ever since I upgraded the http library the last time. As you pointed out, I'm setting the wrong http header.

Thanks a lot for discovering and reporting this.

xaviercm
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 1 month ago
Joined: 01/18/2013 - 05:52
1.2.5255 solved the problem :)

Hi Eric,

Thanks for releasing this fix so quickly ! All it's ok for me now (i could download the episode without any problem).

/Xavier

jlucktay
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 1 month ago
Joined: 04/06/2016 - 09:53
Mine is all sorted now too,

Mine is all sorted now too, thanks Eric!