Back to Top

Transfer of DoggCatcher to New Device Not Working

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
deezer
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 12 months ago
Joined: 06/27/2013 - 22:41
Transfer of DoggCatcher to New Device Not Working

Trying to migrate my DoggCatcher settings, feeds and files from one device (Nexus 4 - Android 5.1.1) to another (Nexus 5x - Android 6.0) and it is not working.

Here's what I tried:

- Do a "backup" on Nexus 4 (directory is /storage/emulated/0/DoggCatcher/Export)
- Copy "DoggCatcher" folder from Nexus 4 /storage/emulated/0/DoggCatcher to Nexus 5x /storage/emulated/0/DoggCatcher
- Open DoggCatcher on Nexus 5x, choose "Restore"
- The "Restore Confirmation" prompt appears. I choose "Yes"
- The "Application Restart" prompt appears. I choose "OK"
- The application restarts, but no updates to the feeds are seen

I checked to make sure the storage paths on both devices are set the same; they are.

Please advise how I can make this transfer work.

WayneC
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 days ago
Joined: 02/23/2011 - 22:28
Transfer of DoggCatcher

Sorry about that. It's possible the initial backup was corrupted some how, if you still have access to your Nexus 4 device..run the the backup again and also as an additional backup>Run “Export Feeds in OPML Format”>

1 Delete the existing export folder & DoggCatcherExport.opml file on the Nexus 5x
/storage/emulated/0/DoggCatcher

2 Copy the “Export “ folder & DoggCatcherExport.opml file from the Nexus 4 to the Nexus 5x /storage/emulated/0/DoggCatcher

3 Open DoggCatcher on the Nexus 5x, choose "Restore"
(In the DC Navigation Menu>Settings>Backup/Restore/Export)

4 If the restore feature fails again....re-subscribe to your feeds again using the “OPML Import from File” option (In the DC Navigation Menu>Subscribe>Swipe to “Advance”>Import from file>Press on “DoggCatcherExport.opml”> press on each feed to re-subscribe (Unfortunately the “Subscribe to all” option is currently disabled & will be fixed on future update of the app.

deezer
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 12 months ago
Joined: 06/27/2013 - 22:41
Wayne,

Wayne,

What you described is exactly what I have done. It does not work. It seems like there is something odd in Android 6.0 about the way that this works. Has anyone successfully restored a backup on Android 6.0?

WayneC
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 days ago
Joined: 02/23/2011 - 22:28
Email the the backup folder

Email the the backup folder to us (In the DC Navigation Menu>Report Problem) to see if we can reproduce the problem

See FAQ post "Emailing a DoggCatcher backup to support?" http://www.doggcatcher.com/node/1039

eric
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 11/06/2008 - 22:02
So the good news is that I

So the good news is that I can reproduce this, the bad news is that I don't know what is causing it yet.

A backup and restore from the same device works fine but when the backup comes from another device, the restore fails. I'm looking into it now, and my guess is that it's a permissions related problem related to changes in marshmallow but I don't know that for sure yet.

I'll let you know when I figure it out.

eric
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 11/06/2008 - 22:02
So here's what I found, and

So here's what I found, and it's very surprising and I probably wouldn't believe it if I didn't see for myself.

Transferring the dc database from a device to a pc over *usb* results in a database file with different contents than one transferred from a device to google drive, which is synced to a pc.

I've done this multiple times with the same results, basically using usb results in about 10% of the end of the database just missing. So when dc tries to import the database, it's obviously corrupt and can't be imported.

If you have google drive on your phone and pc, try (from the phone with the original DC), add the db file "rss" to google drive. Then on your pc which received a synced copy of that file, copy the file to the new device, and then do a restore.

This is not ideal but should work until I figure out a better way to handle this.

deezer
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 12 months ago
Joined: 06/27/2013 - 22:41
Got it working

Eric & Wayne,

Thanks for your replies.

I was able to get the backup to restore under Marshmallow.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what fixed it. There were 2 things that changed. First, DoggCatcher upgraded on both the export and import device. Second, I used ADB to transfer the files to the new device. Not sure which helped, but I suspect ADB did, as I think file permissions may have been an issue with my previous transfer.

eric
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 11/06/2008 - 22:02
I think we were both typing

I think we were both typing responses at the same time :-)

Pretty sure it was adb is what fixed it, as I think the root problem was getting a partial database when using the windows device driver and explorer for transfers.