Back to Top

95% or partial

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
johnb1972
Offline
Last seen: 13 years 7 months ago
Joined: 11/12/2008 - 21:03
95% or partial

I can't seem to get my splendid table podcasts to load.

I watched it download and get to 95% of the 25mb then goto partial download with a red x 3 times.

Why do some podcasts work fine and others not at all??

I'm using wifi when I run the app.

My 5 other podcasts download and play just fine

eric
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 3 months ago
Joined: 11/06/2008 - 22:02
Feed URL

Can you please post the feed URL and I'll take a look.

johnb1972
Offline
Last seen: 13 years 7 months ago
Joined: 11/12/2008 - 21:03
feed url
eric
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 3 months ago
Joined: 11/06/2008 - 22:02
Confirmed

I get the same behavior. I'll add this to the bug list and resolve it as soon as we can.

joao
Offline
Last seen: 13 years 7 months ago
Joined: 11/21/2008 - 01:12
Not sure if the issue is the

Not sure if the issue is the same, but I get the same behavior from this feed:
http://www.stanford.edu/group/edcorner/uploads/podcast/EducatorsCorner.xml

It goes up to 99% and then fails.

EDIT: By using the trackball (roll down) I'm able to highlight this podcast episode (I can't do that with the finger) and by clicking on it I will go to what I assume is the media player section (this is the only podcast i have subscribed to) and by highlighting the play button with the scroll wheel once more, the audio will start to play. Since it failed (i have the gear with red cross icon) I wonder what happens when I reach the end of whatever was downloaded. If I get a chance I'll report on that tomorrow.

In the meantime, why does the scroll wheel behave differently than a finger press? My instinct was to click on the episode with the finger to get it going and nothing is happening (maybe because of the error?)

Anyway, great work. Far better than the other podcast app that appeared for the G1. With that one, the only thing I get is a notification that it went to check for new episodes. It downloads nothing and the notification won't disappear...

eric
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 3 months ago
Joined: 11/06/2008 - 22:02
Easter egg

You seem to have found a way to get to some experimental code. Doing a wheel click on an episode seems to take you to the episode description screen, which was something we experimented a while back but never (we thought) made accessible to the user. Interesting find :-)

Doing anything on that screen is unlikely to behave properly but it does seem to achieve your goal.

I don't use the wheel at all in DC, I'll need to test this some more so we have good consistency between the touch and wheel navigation.

I looked at the PodWeasel...and I think it's a good thing that we have some competition. It's certainly good for the user as you have a choice and it keeps the pressure on both applications to improve. I like name of theirs too.

eric
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 3 months ago
Joined: 11/06/2008 - 22:02
The egg is gone

We removed the hidden way to get to the screen that you shouldn't be able to get to. I hope this doesn't make things worse for you since it was your way to get to play the podcasts with the mis-reported sizes. You may be able to find those podcasts in the Android Music Player after some time. I think Android does some periodic scanning for media, at which point, the podcasts will appear in the song list.

Regarding the Educator's Corner partials, they also misreport the filesizes. I tried a few things to work around this problem, but I haven't been able to come up with a solution that doesn't have side effects. We're not giving up though, we'll keep it on the bug list until it gets resolved.

..and Educator's Corner looks pretty good, I'm going to give it a listen.

eric
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 3 months ago
Joined: 11/06/2008 - 22:02
So this is what's happening

This RSS URL tells us that the episode is going to be 25,641,625 bytes long, but the actual file is 24,682,285 bytes long...divide the actual by the expected and you get 96%.

Interestingly, this RSS URL states that all episodes are the same length, when in reality they probably are not.

We determine that we have a whole download when the amount we download matches what the RSS URL tells us that the length should be.

I added this to the bug list already. We'll try to figure out another way of validating that we have a complete download.

As a temporary workaround, you may want to try to see if the episode is in the media list for the normal Android Music player. It scans periodically and it may detect the episode and let you play it from there.