Back to Top

*wakelock* mediaserver = HUGE battery drain

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
changelin
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 12 months ago
Joined: 05/30/2012 - 21:34
*wakelock* mediaserver = HUGE battery drain

I have noticed recently that when I use Doggcatcher my battery dies very quickly (40% used in less than an hour). When I do not use Doggcatcher on the weekends my phone will last 20+ hours without a charge. After some research using Badass Battery Monitor (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gsamlabs.bbm&hl=en) I found that "*wakelock* mediaserver" is over 90% of my battery drain. After further research I found that sometimes that specific wakelock can be caused be a corrupt file on the SD card. I then formatted the "SD" in my phone (NS4G doesn't have a real SD, only internal). Still no luck. I then did a factory reset and formatted the SD AGAIN. No luck. Even more research found that I might be able to work around this issue with liberal use of .nomedia files. So I put one in every single folder on the SD. Again, no luck. I am only left thinking that it may be an issue with Doggcatcher or it's interaction with 4.0.4. I'm pulling my hair out here. Any help would be much appreciated.

My specs are:
Sprint Nexus S 4g
ICS 4.0.4

eric
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 3 months ago
Joined: 11/06/2008 - 22:02
The mediaserver is an android

The mediaserver is an android process responsible for audio playback. Does the android battery usage app indicate the same culprit? I used the tmo version of that device for quite a while and I don't think the mediaserver ever went above 5-10%.

changelin
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 12 months ago
Joined: 05/30/2012 - 21:34
Yes. It shows that when I use

Yes. It shows that when I use Doggcatcher "*wakelock* mediaserver" is consuming over 90% of my battery.

tavvy
Offline
Last seen: 9 years 3 weeks ago
Joined: 06/10/2013 - 04:37
Same problem with mediaserver battery drain

I was also suffering the same battery drain issues and after un installing Doggcatcher the problem abated. I since had a replacement SDcard and have just re installed to test if the problem re appears. I believe it might be caused by incomplete or corrupted podcast files that the Android mediaserver app is scanning to build an index and gets stuck in a loop as it can't read them.

Before getting a replacement card from SanDisk I was also suffering from the 32GB SDcard dismounting and mounting often. I think this may have also caused the mediaserver app to launch each time as the card mounted and it scanned the filesystem for changed files.

I will report back after a day with my results.